Sleepaway Camp Sequels
Finally the time came. I quit my job at the art store and so did my girlfriend, Christina, who would be my assistant. I was going from making $105 a week working retail to making $700 doing something that I had always wanted to do. So it began. We had 4 weeks preproduction on “Sleepaway Camp 2”, but did not get our actors in for life casts until 1 week before shooting. I had to come up with a quick way to make fake heads. My days of wig forms and wax were long gone. This was a real movie. Well at least to me, it was. So I made quite a few calls to Dick Smith and as always he graciously helped me out as much as he could. The location would be in Bremen Georgia; a 2 hour drive from my shop in my parent’s basement. Christina and I would have to do a lot of traveling to be able to pull the whole thing off. So we hit the ground running and started making the effects.
One of the first things we built was a fake branch that would be used as a club in several scenes. This was something that we could do without the actors and was one of the few things that we could build during preproduction. So we got a real stick and wrapped it in upholstery foam. We then coated it in latex and oatmeal and then painted it up. We created a chamber to put in blood bags and it was ready to go. It came out really well. So well, that it was used in the sequel. I always laughed about how Angela had just happened to find the same branch years later to continue her killing spree. We also worked on prop leeches and burnt corpses. I also knew that we had a character that gets his face burned off, so I went ahead and made that one as well. All I had to do is glue on a mullet haircut and it was good to go. Finally, when the actors came in, we started building the heads from quick temporary molds. We poured tinted dental acrylic into these molds and then painted them with acrylic paints. I would guess that we were making a head in about 2 days, which is unheard of. The final week went by fast and soon we went to set. It was an old abandoned camp that was supposedly haunted by the ghost of a drowned boy. Hmmm, a little “Friday the 13th” legend here? Greeeeat. So Christina and I set up a little work space in one of the cabins. We shared it with some small mice and we were all one big happy family. The shooting itself was a nightmare. We had 3 weeks to shoot the movie and then would start the next one 3 days later. Tensions began to run a little high at times and I remember one incident when I got into an argument with a crew member. He was being rather condescending in his tones about one of my fake heads. I smarted off to him about it and he came at me. I remember the AD jumping in, not to stop a fight, but to take the fragile head from my hands, in case I got pummeled. Nothing happened, but it was comforting to know where the priorities lay. It was not the only argument I was to have, but overall, I had a great time on it. There’s even a scene in the movie, where I let them film one of the deaths in my little Datsun B210. I lay in my back seat during a scene when Angela drills a character’s head. The cue was when they would say “splat” and I would then push on a large syringe with all my might, ejecting a crimson stream of thick karo syrup blood all over my car’s white interior. When they yelled cut, I just sat there in a rain of dripping blood, looking at the carnage that I had just created. Even though blood dripped from my seatbelt harness for months afterward, it was a very proud moment for me.


Blood Salvage

Pam S and I on SC3
Pam Springsteen and I on "Sleepaway Camp 3"
Christina and I on Sleepaway 3
Christina and I on "Sleepaway Camp" Sequels
























back to history